Sunday, August 29, 2010

My Friend Sue

I want to step away from education for a moment to say goodbye to a friend. My friend Sue Gabbert passed away Saturday after a long fight with cancer. If you didn't get a chance to meet Sue, you missed out. Sue was a teacher at Calumet High School, and that's where I first met her. Sue was the kind of person who was selfless, her attention made you feel important simply because it was Sue that was listening to you. She loved to talk, loved to listen. We spent many Wednesdays along with our friend Andy Trevino laughing and enjoying each others company at CHS. She loved talking about her family, her friends, great and cheesy 80's music, and her students. Life brimmed out of Sue everyday that you came in contact with her. Simply said, she was one of the good ones. She is a person that I am glad to have met, am lucky to have known, and wish I had met earlier.

I can only imagine the legions of people that have been affected by this loss. Sue simply was not a person that you met only to forget moments later. She stayed with you. My favorite memories of her will include bring your child to work days (where I got to see Sue and her daughter Lauren interact) and the Cinco de Mayo party she invited us to. Thank you Sue, God bless and good journey to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment