Wednesday, August 22, 2012

New Beginning

This year I am starting a new job, so I thought it was only appropriate that I'd restart my blog! I have been hired to be the New Tech Coach at Lake Ridge New Tech Middle School in Gary, Indiana. My official title is Secondary Services Provider, but in reality I am an aid to the facilitators that have kicked off our New Tech adventure here at LRNTMS! We have four teams: two 6th grade teams, one 7th grade team, and one 8th grade team.

Our first day was great on many levels. Many facilitators feel like it's their first day on the job, it was obviously my first day, and 1/3 of our student body was coming to us for the first time as 6th graders! I was able to observe students logging into ECHO for the first time, and I know that some of them went as far as to update their profile page. Tomorrow several classes will introduce ECHO further with a Treasure Hunt assignment

The students were excited to be issued new Mac Air's as their computers that they would be using throughout their day. It was a challenge to get them out to the students, and in some ways it was a challenge to get them rounded up at the end of the day. Overall, I think it was a very successful day! I was very proud of our staff and the way that they rolled with the challenges and found solutions!

I am taking classes at Purdue Calumet online, and one day I will put that education to use as an educational administrator. For now, however, I am fortunate to have the opportunity to observe several quality administrators both here at LRNTMS as well as Calumet New Tech. I can only hope to absorb and pick up as much as I can as I move forward! I'm looking forward to helping out our teams as they find their footing and look to raise the bar here this school year!

No comments:

Post a Comment